My article didn't turn out how I planned it would, but I think it turned out how He planned it would. It doesn't have any homemaking tips or ideas, but rather, it tells a story that I hope you will find at the very least interesting. So without further ado, here's my article!
I hope this gets you thinking! Blessings and Shalom (peace).I’m a dreamer. Big time. I often find myself imagining what life would be like if we went here, did that, or met them. I even draw/paint pictures to the best of my ability so that I can show my family what is on my mind. I have so many hopes and dreams… Most of my dreams include living in a farm house on a ranch and going completely off grid. Yeah, that is my dream.
At one point I was convinced that Yahweh was going to move us to that farm house on a ranch right away, and it was CONSTANTLY on my mind. It was to the point where that’s all I would talk about, and just about all that I prayed for. I was sinking into a pit of dis-contentedness of where God had me. What I want[ed] wasn’t a bad thing… in fact, I’m convinced that that desire is from Yahweh (Psalm 37:4). My flaw was being impatient for the right timing, which caused me to be discontent, thus resulting in me doing half-finished jobs, unenthusiastic attitudes, and little hospitality to my family.
My dis-contentedness also resulted in my refusal to take pleasure in the blessings that He has already given my family and I, for instance, when I would do the dishes in our small ‘cottage’ and watch my dog play in our backyard, I could only imagine that I was doing dishes in a large and beautiful farmhouse watching the herd of sheep graze in the large acreage of land during the sunset… When I was brought back to my current reality, I would sigh and think how I wasn’t where I wanted to be. I would think how things could be so much better… and I wouldn’t want to do the dishes anymore.
I knew that this couldn’t go on. I knew my life was (is) rich. I live in a small, two bedroom house with a red door, I have a huge backyard with a large garden, and I live across the street from a park. Not to mention I have an INCREDIBLE loving family and amazing friends that love me, and I love them.
Life is good. The day that I finally grasped the feeling of contentedness I felt SO much better. If I were to describe the feeling, I would describe it as peaceful. Sure, that desire to live my dream hasn’t gone away, but contrary to prior circumstances, I was happy where God had me, but ready for when it was time to move.
Once I grasped the feeling of contentedness I went into focus mode. If I am supposed to go there, do this, meet them, then I need to be ready. How am I supposed to run a working farm when I don’t even want to do the dishes in my little home? It was then that I started getting into the habit of carrying my responsibilities, being hospitable to my family, and doing it all with an enthusiastic smile.
Before, my thought process went something like this: I thought that if my dream came true then magically I would just be able to do it all. That’s not the case. For example, if you were trying to teach your child responsibility, would you rack all the duties of an adult at once, and hope they adapt? No! You would start small, and gradually add one after another as their knowledge and ability increases. God does the same thing with us.
My point in all this is that contentedness is the key if we want to become Beautifiers. If we aren’t thankful for what God’s given us, then how are we going to take care of it? First comes thanksgiving, then comes the joy of embracing our God-given situation.
I hope that this has been a blessing to all of you. Yahweh bless you! Psalm 46:10
Sophia
That is very true. Have you ever read Joyfully at Home by Jasmine Baucham? Really good, and as I started reading your article it made me think of that book. Although the book was written for unmarried young ladies living at home, that is one of her main topics: Contentment. And it's true! If I get up grudgingly from the table and walk into the kitchen to do the dishes thinking, "oh, this will be so much easier and better when I have my own home..." (Sigh) then I'm wrong! Things don't automatically change when you get married or move to an off the grid farm. There will still be the same problems, the same dirty dishes to wash. Anyways, I highly recommend it. It's actually one if my favorite books!
ReplyDelete